The RACC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Cyclemeter for the Iphone
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 11:04 pm by jusdvd

» Looking for Backcountry Ski Partner
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 12:25 am by ski&run

» Schlaflos im Sattel 2011
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 2:48 pm by tijealp

» Happy New Year's to the Woog!
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm by tijealp

» MTB Marathons 2011
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptyFri Dec 24, 2010 11:13 pm by sjoerd

» Day after Turkey Day ride
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 2:36 pm by spookyload

» The Sunday Stew Road Ride
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:06 pm by Sharpbike

» RACC meeting
Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 1:32 pm by Sharpbike

Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second

5 posters

Go down

Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second Empty Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second

Post by bcane98 Sat May 09, 2009 2:54 pm

What an idiot!

http://www.velonews.com/article/91791

The Belgian-based Quick Step team has suspended Tom Boonen after learning that the three-time Paris-Roubaix winner has tested positive for cocaine for the second time in a year.

Boonen, who recently claimed his third victory in the prestigious “hell of the North,” is alleged to have tested positive two weeks after that race, on April 24 or 25.

News of the test positive led prosecutors to order a raid on Boonen's home, confirmation of which was given by top public prosecutor Jan Poels to the Sudpresse daily newspaper group and the Het Laatste Nieuws newspaper.

In a statement issued Saturday morning, the team announced a decision to suspend Boonen, pending an investigation.

“Team Quick Step announces that Tom Boonen has been suspended from all competitive activity effective immediately,” the statement noted. “The staff is working closely with team sponsors and will continue to update the situation during the weekend evaluating eventual further action.”

Earlier in the day, Quick Step manager Patrick Lefevere said he had spoken to Boonen, and suggested that the Belgian star's future with the team was now hanging in the balance.

"I really don't know what to say. I'm certainly not at home dancing around my living room: I'm very disappointed," Lefevere, who signed Boonen in 2003, told Sporza.

Boonen, one of the biggest cycling stars of the past decade, last year caused a storm when a positive test for cocaine in May led to him being left off his team's Tour de France roster at the behest of race organizers.

On that occasion he escaped a sporting ban because it was not an official random doping test. Cocaine, considered by sports authorities to be a recreational substance, is not forbidden outside of official competition.
Advertisement

However if news of this latest test is fully confirmed, Boonen risks missing the three-week Tour de France in July for the second year in a row.

Moreover, Boonen now faces the real risk of criminal charges having escaped any such punishment last year after prosecutors decided he had paid for his crimes through what amounted to a very public humiliation. The possession of cocaine in Belgium could carry penalties of between three months and five years in prison and fines of 1000 to 100,000 Euros.

Boonen's lawyer, Luc Deleu, told Sporza television channel that he feared the worst of outcomes for his 28-year-old client.

"In legal terms this test is a problem because it has effectively violated the terms of last year's ruling which virtually suspended any kind of sentence. The consequences could be disastrous," Deleu said. "For him personally, the problem is just as significant. His image is tainted. He risks missing the Tour (de France) again.

"I spoke to him yesterday (Friday) and he's at his very lowest."

Boonen, 28, was crowned world champion in 2005. As well as winning notable races like Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders, he also won the Tour de France’s green jersey in 2007.
Belgian federation (LVB) chief Tom Van Damme said the news was a slap in the face for Quick Step, Belgium's biggest cycling team.

"If he was racing with any other team, he would have been thrown out already," Van Damme said.
bcane98
bcane98
Gear Masher

Number of posts : 1569
Your Current Location : Germany
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Back to top Go down

Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second Empty Hell of a Drug!!!

Post by BIGWAVEDAVE Sun May 10, 2009 2:43 pm

I heard that cocaine is a hell of a drug!!! Stay organic...stay with Steel!
BIGWAVEDAVE
BIGWAVEDAVE
Bagging a Peak

Number of posts : 111
Your Current Location : Ramstein AB
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second Empty Re: Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second

Post by Chopperguth Mon May 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Cocaine is a performance enhancing drug? Never the less he a dumb arse! As I said in the past.....Let all the roadies take what they want and give them each the same bike & components to include only two gears on a flip flop rear hub and let them battle! Now that would be entertainment!!!
Chopperguth
Chopperguth
Nirvana

Number of posts : 796
Your Current Location : Sanford, NC
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second Empty Re: Boonen reportedly tests positive for cocaine for the second

Post by USCFROADIE Mon May 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Cocaine is the main masking agent used by pro cyclists. Getting busted for it does not kill your career; your sponsors/employers determine the outcome, but the rider will not aget a two-year ban. I don't think it's a case of him being an idiot; I think it was cover up for his preparation for the TDF.
USCFROADIE
USCFROADIE
Bagging a Peak

Number of posts : 125
Your Current Location : Hill AFB, UT
Registration date : 2007-12-17

http://www.litespeed.com/bikes/vortex.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post by MOAR Mon May 11, 2009 6:18 pm

MOAR
MOAR
Potential Organ Donor

Number of posts : 539
Your Current Location : In a van, down by the river.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chopperguth Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm

USCFROADIE wrote:Cocaine is the main masking agent used by pro cyclists. Getting busted for it does not kill your career; your sponsors/employers determine the outcome, but the rider will not aget a two-year ban. I don't think it's a case of him being an idiot; I think it was cover up for his preparation for the TDF.

Wow! Didn't know that:) It's amazing what these folks will put their bodies through to get to the top. If I where them I'd do it Tanya Harding style:)
Chopperguth
Chopperguth
Nirvana

Number of posts : 796
Your Current Location : Sanford, NC
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by bcane98 Mon May 11, 2009 10:19 pm

And it looks like his team ain't gonna fight for him to be in the TdF... bummer [snap] Wink
bcane98
bcane98
Gear Masher

Number of posts : 1569
Your Current Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down